Sunday, July 09, 2006

Global Population

I learn things that influence my behavior, then I tend to forget the details. I have to keep myself reminded about things like this so that I don't start to slip.

From Populationmedia.org:
At the same time, shortages of water are at a crisis point in many countries. At least 400 million people live in regions with severe water shortages. By the year 2050, it is projected to be approximately two billion. Water tables on every continent are falling, as water is pumped out at far greater rates than rainwater can replenish in order to provide irrigation for agriculture. India, for example, is pumping out its underground aquifers at twice the rate of natural replenishment.

Humans are already using half of the globe's products of photosynthesis and over half of all accessible fresh water. Long before human demand doubles again, the limits of the ecosystem's ability to support people will become dramatically evident.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home