Thursday, October 02, 2008

Clothes Line Nation


Over the summer I spent some time trying to figure out how to convince my landlord to adopt some renewable-energy technologies. I'm still working on it, but in the meantime, I think I've made a big step in the conservation department, and I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't think of it earlier.

I made my own line with some nylon rope and two keychain carabiners. I didn't cut the rope, so I can change the length if I need to adjust to another location, and the carabiners allow me to take it down, as well as hang it inside if I want (which I do if I leave the apartment before my clothes are dry)

Project Laundry List gives these reasons for line-drying:

10) Save money (more than $100/year off electric bill for most households). FN1

9) Conserve energy and the environment. FN2

8) Clothes and sheets smell better without adding possibly toxic chemicals to your body and the environment. FN3

7) Clothes last longer. Where do you think lint comes from? FN4

6) It is physical activity which you can do in or outside. FN5

5) Sunlight bleaches and disinfects. FN6

4) Indoor racks can humidify in dry winter weather. FN7

3) Clothes dryer fires account for about 15,600 structure fires, 15 deaths, and 400 injuries annually. The yearly national fire loss for clothes dryer fires in structures is estimated at $99 million. FN8

2) An outdoor experience that is meditative. FN9

1) Demonstrates that small steps can make a difference. You don't have to wait for the government to take action. FN10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home