Monday, January 16, 2006

Kool Herc Show



The above is some raw video (with very distorted audio) from the Kool Herc show at the Blind Pig in Ann Arbor, Michigan, on January 14th.

The opening act was One Be Lo, and I was actually very impressed. One rhyme mentioned Dennis The Worm. Good Detroit stuff here. Solid.

Kool Herc was a little sloppy at first by today's standards, but I was there for a bit of a history lesson, and I'm sure that many of the records he played were the same records that inspired the world's first breakdancing. Matching beats wasn't a thing when Herc was rockin the high school jams back in the day. The b-boys were in full effect and Herc occasionally got on the mic saying "B-boys, GO OFF!! GO OFF!! GO OFF!!" He also made a big speech before he started, trying to explain his embarrasing portrayal on the VH1 hip hop award show that aired a few months back. Herc's gotta be 50 or older, but he still did some little dancing behind the decks, and every record was a jam.

All in all it was a great night, and it reminded me a bit of the good times I used to have at Family Funktion at Alvin's 10 years ago.

Many thanks to the good people at the Denny's on Stadium for making this post possible with the safe keeping of my camera, which I retrieved Sunday morning. That late night Lumberjack breakfast made me forget it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home