Wednesday, April 12, 2006

'78 Nova

Today I met a woman who sat behind the wheel of a green 1978 Nova. She was driving it at the time. The first car I ever remember being in was a green Chevy Nova. The lady asked me a question and I repsonded with another question: "How is that thing still running?!?!? She told me that she had driven it ever since she bought it new off the showroom floor, even though she hardly looked older than me. "How many miles do you got on it," I asked.

"I don't know! I got seventy three thousand on this engine." She said it was the third engine the car has had. I said that I thought that her car was awesome, and I meant it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

people don't tick like that these days. In Europe all the pod cars everyone drives are brand new. Which makes me wonder what happened to all the pod cars they were driving the last time I was there - in 1998.

An hour ago I had a conversation about my great grandmother's avocado green Maverick. It had a grand total of 4000 miles on it or something when it was eventually sold. She never learned how to drive. Mint.

11:20 PM  
Blogger J.Knecht said...

There's an old saying from New England:

"Use it up, wear it out. Make it do, or do without."

I think it's good advice, especially when old cars are so dang cool. Have you seen what people are driving in Cuba? Those folks are all driving cars built in the 50s! Of course, the climate is a little less conduscive to rust down there, but still!

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home